Overview & Challenge
The Client is one of the biggest medical suppliers in the US, specializing in products that help people manage diabetes, such as insulin pumps, test strips, and lancets. They offer a wide range of medical supplies for both adults and children with diabetes.
The company has its own payment portal, allowing individuals to purchase diabetes supplies from other retailers. They also provide treatments for elderly patients with diabetes-related health issues. This comprehensive approach to diabetes care ensures that patients have access to the tools and support they need to effectively manage their condition, no matter their age or circumstances.
The Client wanted to migrate the initial implementation, built-in SnapLogic Integration Platform, to a fully-fledged order integration B2C (business-to-customer) workflow in MuleSoft that would enable the handling of a high volume of orders and ensure optimal performance and efficiency in the order management process. The new implementation needed to be secure, reliable, highly available, and promote idempotency across the entire API network, regardless of the step.
The system used an Event-Driven Architecture (EDA) with asynchronous processing, Azure Service Bus, and a database to manage a high volume of orders with optimal performance. The EDA approach included an Experience API and two Process APIs, while a shared library connector provided complete logging, reprocessing, and error-handling mechanisms. The architecture ensured scalability and reliability for efficient order management.
The implemented solution improved system efficiency and streamlined the order management process. Key benefits include:
- Improved Efficiency: The use of an EDA approach with asynchronous processing and Azure Service Bus communication mechanism allows for improved system efficiency, resulting in faster processing times and a streamlined order management process.
- Scalability: The architecture is designed to handle a large volume of orders with ease, which makes it highly scalable. It can accommodate an increase in orders with minimal impact on system performance.
- Improved Customer Experience: The Experience API provides a user-friendly interface that allows customers to easily place orders and track their progress. The entire order management process is seamless, which can lead to improved customer satisfaction.
- Increased Data Security: With Azure RDBMS and Service Bus, data is securely stored and transferred, ensuring patient information is kept safe and confidential.
- Reduced Errors and Improved Accuracy: With the use of multiple Process APIs and a shared library connector, the system can detect and correct errors in real-time, improving the accuracy of order processing and minimizing the potential for errors.
- Greater Reusability: The use of a shared library connector and System API allows for greater reusability, meaning that components of the architecture can be reused in other areas of the organization, resulting in cost savings and increased efficiency.