Overview & Challenge
The Client is the fourth largest provider of digital subscriber lines – internet, TV, and phone services to businesses and customers in the US. They are also part of the Fortune 500 companies with a mission to continuously innovate and deliver the best services to their customers, regardless of the size.
To support their market expansion the client decided to replace their existing middleware based on IBM platform with a new one based on TIBCO technologies. However, the new middleware required migration testing. The new middleware integration software integrated and enhanced the current Front-End systems, Billing and Shipment systems.
The general solution covered implementation of the new framework and new TIBCO SOAP Web Services. In addition, within the scope of the project was re-design of old services and public APIs in order to avoid maintenance complexity and improve performances.
This wide and complex initiative engages multiple vendors on the supplying parts, which further imposes the problem of efficient testing of the suppliers delivered software products, since they are crucial for the success and time to market services offered to the client’s end customers.
The solution included implementation of Extended Unit Testing (EUT). The main goal of the testing effort was to verify that the services provided by the newly implemented SOA system provide exactly the same functionality as the system that was substituted. All of the testing was performed from API perspective, achieving integration testing from the perspective of the SOA integration layer enabling efficient test modularization and adaptation on the testing scope.
- Implementation of new stable and very responsive ESB framework which supports the old APIs;
- Faster processing of the messages and simplified and intuitive access to the public APIs;
- Very early detection of any issues in designs or code, reducing the “defect cost”;
- Efficient regression testing by implementing test automation;
- High efficiency per tester;
- Well-timed triage and problem localization of the detected issues;
- High-quality products and testing services.