Overview & Challenge
The client is a leading pet products and services retailer, existing on the market for more than 50 years and providing its customers’ products, services, advice, and experiences for their pets via their e-commerce website. They have a vast network of pet products and services partners, and as such, they have enormous traffic to their e-commerce website which should make their customers feel more confident when shopping. The client has to make sure that the site is always up and running without any faults.
Like many other companies around the world, our client found that they are providing their services to their customers in a fast and efficient way and that everything works as it should, but the testing process of the e-commerce site was done by manual regression testing, which was time-consuming, and costly. What they wanted was a solution that would keep the cost to a minimum and help eradicated potential issues. During all their time of existence, they haven’t employed automated testing, which resulted in the long testing process, and even further they feared that the automated testing will not provide the results they wanted. Manual regression testing as compared to automated testing didn’t provide the results that they wanted to achieve, so what they had to do was find an efficient solution that will provide their existing customers with better services and will expand their customer base.
The client was looking for an affordable solution for automated testing that would be efficient enough to solve their challenges and improve their process. After evaluating the challenges, and the client’s need, Robot Framework (a keyword testing framework) was chosen as the testing framework. The reason behind choosing Robot Frameworks is that it is open-source and its versatility enabled us to tick every box of the requirements we were facing when first presented with the tasks at hand.
Using our suggested solution, the client was able to decrease the costs and time related to Regression testing.
Technical side benefits:
- Reduced number of defects after each release with daily regression runs.
- Eased up the regression testing process, reduce the strain on the QA team so that they can focus on testing new features better.
- Eased up automation script development so that every QA member can feel comfortable with automation stuff.
- Increased overall satisfaction between QA members, development, and corporate teams, enabling on-time delivery of quality new features and products, resulting in an overall better product for the client.
- Decreased costs for 40%
- Increased customers’ satisfaction by 45%
- Increased efficiency and productivity
- Increased employees’ satisfaction
- Diminished the chance for production issues
- Provided security to the vast network of partners for a 24/7 running e-commerce site